Forget the Big Bang Theory, Try the Big Bang fair!

Hi!

4 days. 75, 000 people. 1 building. And a truck load of Science.
What is this wonderful place, I hear you think. Well let me quench your curiosity. 2 years ago I went to the National Science and Engineering Competition at the Big Bang fair (I will be referring to it as the Big Bang for short).

Before having the time of my life there were many things that I needed to do first. First: Actually have a project, and to do that I, along with my team of 5 other people designed a roof top garden to look like what most of your bedrooms would look like and certainly similar to mine.

A whole bunch of experiments, concrete making and a few arguments later..

We were off to the Regional finals of the Big Bang fair at King's way college in Westminster and we didn't get off to the best of starts. We were around 45 minutes late (Hey! Don't judge, have you tried driving through Central London before? If you haven't? DON'T) and then to get worse we find out that we are to be judged in 10 minutes and we had a lot to do!

8 minutes and a lot of freaking out later..
We were set up and looking fabulous and a whole minute early the judges walk in and halt in a line in front of us quietly.. well judging. They then began their interrogation... Okay that's a bit of a stretch, it was more of a chat but anyway, within 10 minutes it was over.

The rest of the day flew by, we were presenting to parents, teachers and a lot of all around nosy people until we had to make our way to the main auditorium for the all important awards ceremony. First: 'The Crest award for Real life context' and that went to Beauty and the bees! (That's us) *Cue the squealing* We regained composure, calm, collected and walked up to the stage and collected our prize. The rest of the evening passed and then it was the announcements of the projects going to the National Finals in Birmingham. "The first project moving on to the National finals is... Not us, 2,3,4 ... 8 and the ninth project is 'The cordless guitar" by this point we thought we were going home. I mean what are the chances right? WRONG. 'The tenth and final project moving onto the National finals is Beauty and the bees!"

That was the biggest turn around I think I've ever had.

To round off, Getting to the regional finals featured some of the most stressful times of my life but I wouldn't hesitate to say it was completely worth it. My lesson for you, No matter how difficult things are, always persevere through it. Throughout all the project work we spent a ridiculous amount of time having.. heated discussions (Certainly not arguments) but we came out with something amazing in the end.

Stay Curious,

Vanessa x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Adventures at Imperial

So... What's so great about maths?

Hello my name is...